Re: Scientific software packaging

Hello,

On 05/23/2011 01:30 PM, Yngve Inntjore Levinsen wrote:
> On Monday 23 May 2011 12.29.15 Gürkan Sengün wrote:
>> That sounds fantastic, do you already have ready packages that I could test?
> You can test the ROOT packages which we distribute from CERN (unofficially) here:
>
> http://cern.ch/lcg-heppkg/debian/
>
> I assume Lifeng have used similar packaging scripts (and his efforts to get them into proper Debian channels are highly appreciated!).
I just read through those pages. You mention source and binary packages,
packaging for sid,
explained backports, reprepro, reads all very nice.

Have you considered sharing your 'debian' folders with the Debian science
repository? There is no need to upload all the program code. And you do not
even need to have anything ready to be uploaded. This way you would share
you insights on how to compile on the various platforms through sharing the
build instructions. This should also allow to work with Lifeng together
on those
packages and everyone would feel exceptionally well about those, even
though your support would remain not to be official. You can e.g. use
README.Debian for a disclaimer.

Best regards,

Steffen