Re: Removal requests submitted for CERNLIB packages

Hi Bastien,

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 1:01 AM, roucaries bastien
<roucaries.bastien+debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 03:25:02PM +0100, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
>>> I have just created a cernlib.git under debian science with dsfg clean source
>>
>> Great.  Just ping the list once you run into any blockers or if you need
>> a sponsor.
>
> My goal is to refactor cernlib support and to extract 64 bits ugliness
> to some libraries.
>
> I have only interest in mathlib and I suppose they are safe (ping kevin)

I'd think (hope) that mathlib would be 64-bit safe in nearly all
cases.  Note that the existing (just-removed) packages run a set of
test suites from debian/rules, and the debian build errors out if the
test suite fails.  The test suite for mathlib was pretty extensive.

The only thing that might be a potential issue would be if any of the
Fortran functions take an array by address as input.

I seem to remember there were a few functions in mathlib that took
multiple arrays as input, then calculated the element-by-element
differences (?) using some other function, to which was passed the
difference between pointer addresses of the two arrays.  That may not
be 64-bit safe.  I'm afraid my memory on this is very hazy.  It might
possibly be addressed already in one of the existing debian/patches.

best regards,

--
Kevin B. McCarty <kmccarty@gmail.com>
WWW: http://www.starplot.org/