Re: hi team!

Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 10:31 +0200, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
>> Hello Andrea,
>>
>> Le vendredi 25 septembre 2009 à 08:01 +0000, Andrea Neroni a écrit :
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm graduated in physic and actually a student for the Master of
>>> science, Debian user from some years. Recently I decided to spend some
>>> of my free time
>>> to collaborate with Debian.
>>> I would want to join the Debian Science Team because some packages are
>>> useful in my studies and everywhere developer recommend to join a team
>>> to start contribution.
>>> Since I'm new to this I need a bit of help for improving my knowledge
>>> of the Debian distribution and packaging/mantaining the system.
>>>
>>> How can I collaborate with you?
>> There are different ways of doing it.
>>
>> The main one is to upload and maintain new packages in the archive.
>> You can also help us by fixing some bugs and participate to the
>> maintenance of the packages you are using.
>
> Simpler than uploading and maintaining packages is just testing them,
> and filing bugs where appropriate, or making "wishlist" suggestions.  A
> lot of people just use packages, find something wrong, and gripe to
> themselves without notifying the package maintainer.
>
> And there is always a need for better documentation, so if you find
> something difficult, try to think of a way to explain it so the next
> person has an easier time, and send it to the package maintainer.

In a parallel thread we are just looking for someone to help with the automated
backporting of scientific packages for earlier releases of Debian. This would
provide a considerable overview on packages in our distribution and probably
lead to tons of candidates for side-projects ... or provide contacts for some
scientific work.

Steffen