Re: simple batch queue system

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 02:05:26PM +0200, Steffen Moeller wrote:
> > I've been working on TORQUE packages *from scratch* for a pair of days.
> > Michael Banck learned about this, and he pointed me at this thread and at
> > the Ubuntu packages I did not know about. Great way of duplicating work!
> many thanks to Michael. An ITP has been out for Debian, too.

Sigh, I wonder how we managed to miss that then.

> > Anyway, I'm happy about someone else having done the job, and will spend
> > some time today inspecting the Ubuntu sources to see if some of my work can
> > be merged in the already existing packages.
> Great to see you on board. You are the 8th packager of Torque that I am aware
> of.

Apparently, I'm the 10th, I just found two more on IRC ;)
14:38 < KiBi> jordi: Make that 9th.
14:40 < mrvn> aeh, 10th.

> > Steffen, what are your current plans for TORQUE?
> Ask our ftpmasters if I should place non-free there or not, prior to
> uploading the package again.

Ok, let's see if we can get one of the ftpmasters to say something.

> > Have you coordinated your upload with Morten Kjeldgaard to keep both
> > packages in sync?
> Yes. We are both in the pkg-escience.alioth.debian.org project, to which I
> would very much like to welcome you, too. I have just added you to the
> developers, to save you a few mouse clicks. The previous upload to Debian was
> based on the 2.3 ubuntu branch, which is Morten's work, plus a few ideas from
> our Debian branch. So, yes, we have been communicating a lot about it and
> basically only waited for a new version to appear. Morten is somewhat MIA
> over the last weeks, but looking at the calendar, I should not be too
> surprised about that. We have thought of coming up with a completely unified
> effort for 2.4, once it is out. Morten did not like the idea to disturb
> current installs of 2.3 for an update.

Oh, this is excellent news, a lot better than I hoped. I'll checkout the
repository and comment further.

Looking at the pkg-escience-devel archive, I assume all packaging discussion
should take place here. I'll send my coments later on, and will commit
trivial fixes to the VCS.

> So, when you look at it, please feel remembered that the harmony with current
> Torque 2.3 Ubuntu installs was a major point.

Ok. My major issue after the first glance is "torque-dev", versus
"libtorque-dev", which is what I'd expect. That can of course be corrected
using Replaces and so on "in harmony", but we can discuss if we want to
do this and when.

I'll subscribe to this list right away.

Jordi
jordi@sindominio.net     jordi@debian.org     http://www.sindominio.net/