Re: simple batch queue system

Hi,

Jordi Mallach wrote:
> [ Please CC: me on replies, as I'm not subscribed to this list ]
please subscribe - it is low traffic.

> I've been working on TORQUE packages *from scratch* for a pair of days.
> Michael Banck learned about this, and he pointed me at this thread and at
> the Ubuntu packages I did not know about. Great way of duplicating work!

many thanks to Michael. An ITP has been out for Debian, too.

> Anyway, I'm happy about someone else having done the job, and will spend some
> time today inspecting the Ubuntu sources to see if some of my work can be
> merged in the already existing packages.

Great to see you on board. You are the 8th packager of Torque that I am aware of.

> I've read the whole thread, and regarding the licensing, my IANAL opinion is
> that TORQUE's fork was done from the last version having the "expiration"
> for clauses 1 & 2 for a reason, and I don't think the current OpenPBS owners
> can do anything retroactive about it. WRT the other clauses, they are
> obviously annoying, but I don't think that they should keep TORQUE out of
> main. ftpmasters will tell though; I think having TORQUE in non-free would
> be useful in case it doesn't fit in main.

I agree.

> Steffen, what are your current plans for TORQUE?

Ask our ftpmasters if I should place non-free there or not, prior to uploading the package
again.

> Have you coordinated your
> upload with Morten Kjeldgaard to keep both packages in sync?

Yes. We are both in the pkg-escience.alioth.debian.org project, to which I would very much
like to welcome you, too. I have just added you to the developers, to save you a few mouse
clicks. The previous upload to Debian was based on the 2.3 ubuntu branch, which is
Morten's work, plus a few ideas from our Debian branch. So, yes, we have been
communicating a lot about it and basically only waited for a new version to appear. Morten
is somewhat MIA over the last weeks, but looking at the calendar, I should not be too
surprised about that. We have thought of coming up with a completely unified effort for
2.4, once it is out. Morten did not like the idea to disturb current installs of 2.3 for
an update.

So, when you look at it, please feel remembered that the harmony with current Torque 2.3
Ubuntu installs was a major point.

Steffen