Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] cran2deb: 1700+ new Debian / R packages

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 10:03:09AM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> | > Will they?  For 'in-Debian' packages it would be a severe bug to depends on
> | > 'out-of-Debian' packages.
> |
> | Sure - there are cran (*not* cran2deb) packages just in Debian and other
> | packages depend from them.  I just wanted to say that it does not make
> | sense to drop any R packages because there might be competing cran2deb
>
> AFAICT nobody suggested that...

Neither did I said that anybody did.  But you were talking about out-of-Debian
packages and I explained that there are sevral inside.  I have no idea why
you assumed I would talk about out-of-Debian packages.

> | Sure.  My way of thinking was that the maintainer of an official Debian
> | package just draws the source from cran2deb, ads a changelog entry and
> | is finished with his work (in an ideal situation).
>
> One would _at least_ need a proper debian/copyright. That step is fairly
> impossible to automate.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about from my first mail on.  We actually have
R packages inside Debian which are featuring control files (if not they would
not be in Debian).  So are you interested to use these existing and potential
future ones into your cran2deb effort as a patch.

> But I am not sure how meaningful / desirable it is to just "stuff" packages
> from cran2deb into Debian.

I did not suggested this.  I was talking about those packages that are or will
be in Debian anyway.  Why not making them profit from your effort directly and
put a hint at a prominent place for R package developers to do so?

> If and when something is generally useful, and
> preferably used by the maintainer, then by all means maintain it.

I just care for consistency and quality of R packages.  I just assume that
cran2deb enables a high degree of consistent packaging which can apply
changes in te packaging system really simple in a rush.  Because of this
it would be easy to advise Debian package maintainers to draw the package
source simply from cran2deb.

> In which
> case the few minutes of creating debian/ are not that much work, as has been
> shown by the 100+ r-cran-* packages already in Debian.

Are you really sure that all R packages inside Debian are featuring a
consistent packaging?