Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] cran2deb: 1700+ new Debian / R packages

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 04:19:25PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> The other unspoken point: no, I do not intend to submit 1700 packages to
> Debian's NEW queue. It would take a lot more effort to properly manually
> maintain these at full-strength distro quality, starting with the 1700+
> debian/copyright files.

[Late reply because I was offline for a while]

I wonder whether your effort might result in some kind of preparation
for manual builded official Debian package.  It turned out that Debian
has a certain set of CRAN packages and there is obviosely some need
for this because people will define dependencies of non-CRAN packages
from these.  IMHO it sounds like a good idea to use a cran2deb builded
source package and add the needed files like copyright and most probably
watch file (it seems clear to me that cran2deb has no use for watch
files if it is building the latest version anyway).

So I wonder if there is a chance to submit patches to cran2deb with
these files to keep the code stored in one place, which means that you
might integrate manually created copyright / watch files into cran2deb
build system and DDs who want to build an official package just draw
all the code from this unique source.

Does this sound reasonable?