Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] cran2deb: 1700+ new Debian / R packages

Hi Don,

That was a quick follow-up :)

On 13 July 2009 at 14:02, Don Armstrong wrote:
| On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| > We currently build for the testing distribution and the i386 and
| > amd64 architectures. This is now publically useable and we welcome
| > wider testing by Debian users. We hope to extend this to Ubuntu
| > during the summer or fall.
|
| Couple quick questions:
|
| 1) Is there an effort to build against unstable in addition to testing?

I think we used unstable at one point (to be closer to Debian practices) but
where then suffering from some temporary breakage.  I have added Charles back
to the CC, maybe he remembers.

Charles and I are currently the only ones running this. If this proves useful
for enough users, maybe we can in the medium-term find better hardware and/or
more manpower to attempt more build arches, distros, ...   But in the short
term:  no, unlikely, as we do not have the bandwidth.

The other unspoken point: no, I do not intend to submit 1700 packages to
Debian's NEW queue. It would take a lot more effort to properly manually
maintain these at full-strength distro quality, starting with the 1700+
debian/copyright files.

| 2) Do you have more detailed information on how someone can set up
| cran2deb with the cronjobs that you are running? [Specifically, I'd
| like to build the set on powerpc, unstable, as I use a mixture of
| amd64, i386 and powerpc.]

Absolutely. cran2deb itself is hosted on r-forge.r-project.org where you can
fetch the sources as a tar.gz, and/or use svn.  That said, the initial stage
is a little manual.  We may want to take this off-list.

Another aspect would be to make the db that controls it all more globally
visible. Right now it is in sqlite and local to the build host so your
efforts and ours would be disjoint which is suboptimal.

| Thanks for the effort, though! I've been sort of hoping and waiting
| for something similar to come along.

Our pleasure.  Give it a spin and see how it goes.

Dirk