Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] cran2deb: 1700+ new Debian / R packages

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 08:48:05AM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> | has a certain set of CRAN packages and there is obviosely some need
> | for this because people will define dependencies of non-CRAN packages
> | from these.
>
> Will they?  For 'in-Debian' packages it would be a severe bug to depends on
> 'out-of-Debian' packages.

Sure - there are cran (*not* cran2deb) packages just in Debian and other
packages depend from them.  I just wanted to say that it does not make
sense to drop any R packages because there might be competing cran2deb
packages.  I'm just thinking in terms of enhancing the quality of the
Debian internal subset of all software available via CRAN.

> cran2deb allows for per-package patches. We needed that to fix a handful of
> corner cases. So one could create another similar mechanism to pull in
> pre-existing changelog entries. I am unsure, however, how urgent that need
> is.  In the hypothetical case from a world with unlimited resources: sure,
> why not?  On this planet, I tend to think I may have other more urgent
> matters to deal with.

Well, my suggestion is far from urgent.  I just thought loudly about how
Debian might make some use of your effort instead of regarding it as only
complementary to Debian

> I don't know. For one thing, cran2deb creates packages with 1.2-1.cran.$x
> versioning which is different (to allow for clear sorting).  So this system
> never creates 'Debian replacement packages'.  I think time will tell how
> cran2deb and Debian itself can morph together.

Sure.  My way of thinking was that the maintainer of an official Debian
package just draws the source from cran2deb, ads a changelog entry and
is finished with his work (in an ideal situation).