Re: note-taking and PDF annotation: jarnal

Am Mittwoch, den 08.04.2009, 09:28 +0200 schrieb Jan Beyer:
> Actually I read a bit more on jarnal's homepage and it might be messy to
> package (quoting from
> http://www.dklevine.com/general/software/tc1000/jarnal-down.htm):
>
> -----
> Source Code: The source is contained in the jar files and can be
> accessed by renaming the .jar file to a .zip file and unzipping. To
> compile, the .java files and the jmainclass.txt, license.txt and ver.txt
> files should be in a directory called jarnal, the images in a
> subdirectory of that directory called images. The jpedal libraries must
> be in the classpath, or you will have to modify jpages.java to comment
> out all references to them. From the superdirectory of the jarnal
> directory issue the command javac jarnal/Jarnal.java. You can then run
> the program by java jarnal/Jarnal and put it in a jar file using jar
> cvfm jarnal.jar jarnal/jmainclass.txt jarnal
> -----
>
> This looks like an extended get-orig-source rule...

This pretty much sounds like the usual hassly one goes through when
packaging Java apps. The description sounds overly complex, a few things
can be done more easily.

I can help with some preliminary packaging and testing if there is
interest in having Jarnal in Debian, though I simply can't maintain it
at the moment. I'd offer to kick-start packaging and sponsor the package
if one or two people are interested in maintaining it in the long run.
(I'm also member of the Debian Java team but would prefer putting it
under the Debian Science umbrella since the language the application is
written in does not really matter, IMHO.)

Best regards
Manuel