Re: note-taking and PDF annotation: jarnal

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, Michael Hanke wrote:

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 02:55:49PM +0200, Jan Beyer wrote:
David Bremner wrote am 4/8/2009 12:30 PM:
Michael Hanke wrote:

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 05:16:00PM -0300, David Bremner wrote:

Xournal is in debian, and seems to work OK.  Is jarnal superior to
xournal in some way?

Okular also has annotation capabilities and is in Debian.

From my quick look at the xournal homepage, I also had the impression
that xournal uses pdftoppm or something like this. And keeping
modifications in your local home-directory is only fine as long as you
only use the file from this one account...

Hmm, I have used xournal before and it can both store anotations as an
overlay, as well as producing a PDF with the original content and the
annotations overlayed.

As I played with xournal, I saw that there are two modes of operation. The best one for PDF files is that the PDF is loaded for annotation. The *.xoj file contains strokes and text overlays and a link tothe original PDF. This means that you don't want to move the relative positions fo the original PDF and the *.xoj files (I presume, I have not tested). When you export, I don't think it converts the PDF to a graphic, it just does a stamp overlay of the annotations.

The second mode of operation is to load the PDF in as a background. In this case, it converts to PPM format and now any exported PDF is rasterized. This latter method is not the recommended one but it is useful for annotating graphics files.

There are a couple of gotchas in this program. One is the bad interaction with the latest libgtk which i plan to fix this week as I am hijacking the package, the second is that if you are using a laptop without an external mouse or tablet, just the touchpad, you MUST turn off Xinput in the options or the program will basically hang X completely. I have not tested with a tablet PC yet.

On the whole, I like the program and upstream is communicating with me so that is a confidence builder.

Cheers,

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics