Re: note-taking and PDF annotation: jarnal

Michael Hanke wrote am 4/8/2009 7:11 AM:
> On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 05:16:00PM -0300, David Bremner wrote:
>> At Tue, 07 Apr 2009 22:11:29 +0200,
>> Jan Beyer wrote:
>>> Hi debian-science,
>>>
>>> I just stumbled upon jarnal [1], a free Java program to take notes using a
>>> stylus or mouse or keyboard with the additional ability to make annotations
>>> and markings in PDF-files. It's exactly what I was looking for for a long
>>> time. In case, somebody wants to reduce the amount of printed out scientific
>>> papers just to be able to make some annotations, that's probably one
>>> interesting thing to check out! ;-)
>>>
>> Xournal is in debian, and seems to work OK.  Is jarnal superior to
>> xournal in some way?
I have to admit, I did not yet try xournal. But according to their
homepage, they claim they are in an earlier development stage and not so
stable. Also collaborative features would be missing.

> Okular also has annotation capabilities and is in Debian.
Okular is a KDE 4 application, so not everybody will want to install it
(and its dependencies).

Thanks for your pointers! I will have a look at xournal at least and
see, how it fits my needs. I will also try and see how much dependencies
okular would drag in.

Actually I read a bit more on jarnal's homepage and it might be messy to
package (quoting from
http://www.dklevine.com/general/software/tc1000/jarnal-down.htm):

-----
Source Code: The source is contained in the jar files and can be
accessed by renaming the .jar file to a .zip file and unzipping. To
compile, the .java files and the jmainclass.txt, license.txt and ver.txt
files should be in a directory called jarnal, the images in a
subdirectory of that directory called images. The jpedal libraries must
be in the classpath, or you will have to modify jpages.java to comment
out all references to them. From the superdirectory of the jarnal
directory issue the command javac jarnal/Jarnal.java. You can then run
the program by java jarnal/Jarnal and put it in a jar file using jar
cvfm jarnal.jar jarnal/jmainclass.txt jarnal
-----

This looks like an extended get-orig-source rule...

Best Regards,
Jan