Re: Debian Science Policy: First draft online and open for discussion

* Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> [080528 23:28]:
> >>I'm missing something explicit about general comitt rights/etiquette.
> >
> >Good point, I really did not think about that all the way through. I
> >personally would be OK if someone from the team would make non-intrusive
> >changes, meaning something that one would i.e. change in an NMU.
>
> It is very reasonable to raise this issue but my experience in practice
> shows that there is practically no missuse.

"Misuse" already implies there is at least an implicit policy who is
allowed what.

> So mentioning the problem in
> the policy seems to be correct - but I think it has low practical relevance.

Wll, I think the whole purpose of a team/project is to get more collaboration.
There are many models thinkable for this: One extreme is just having a mailing
list and seeing other people's bug reports and commits so one can comment
on but otherwise just the "this package belongs those maintainers".
The other extreme is just allowing everyone everything (not in
technical allowing via file permissions but in deeming it normal and encouraged).
And there is every point thinkable in between. Like allowing with messing with
all bug reports of other team members. Or to allow all changes not doing
or reverting design decisions or major implementation issues in the VCS
as long as it is not uploaded.

Without something said about that, there is always some implicit policy,
which can easily be interpreted as "do not touch other people's stuff"
thus making a special project almost useless.

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link