Re: Debian Science Policy: First draft online and open for discussion

Am Donnerstag, den 29.05.2008, 13:18 +0200 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> On Wed, 28 May 2008, Manuel Prinz wrote:
> > A list of packages has been created by the Debian-Med project. Their website
> > contains a long list of software packages in Debian and yet to be packaged.
>
> Wrong. ;-)
> Well, I know that the web page contains the string "Debian-Med" but this
> is rather a bug than a feature.  I'm just not finished with the rewrite
> of the scripts and the goal is for sure to mention the correct CDD.  Even
> if I have done a lot of the work (besides David Paleino who deserves the
> honor of making it happen at all) I was jus wearing my general CDD hut.
> BTW, the procedure, how to (re)create this index is described at
>
>    http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Extremadura2008/WebSentinelHowto
>
> And it is also not *their* website it is the CDD web site which might
> either be moved to debian-science.what.ever or stay there under
>
>      http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/science
>
> which I'd regard not really wrong.

OK. False impression or whatever, we will correct that. Thanks for
clarifying!

> > debian/copyright
> > The machine-readable format must be used.
>
> I guess we had this item in the thread before.  I just want to mention
> one additional aspect:  If we write "must" at any place, we should be
> aware that "must" implicites some means we have to enforce this
> requirement.  Do we really have such means.  For instance would we
> remove the repository of a package if it hits the archive?  Is it
> a bug of the package if it has no machine readable copyright (we
> only have a means to enforce if the bug has RC severity)?  Does
> somebody volunteer to rewrite copyright files and check them in?

Yes, the "must" is probably too strong and I can't really say why I
choose it. (Anyway, I always thought it to be less strong then "has to",
not like the German "muss", somehow more than "may" (German: "darf"). I
may be wrong, though.) We can lower it to a "should". Of course we have
no means to enforce anything.

> So yes, I would _really_, _really_ want to have this realised but
> feel free to blame me for checking in packages that do not yet fullfill
> this requirement.  Yes, I will port the copyright sooner or later and
> I regard this of some importance - but other bugs are more important
> and there is not even a lintian warning about non-machine readable
> copyright files (at least I did not realised).

Full ACK. And there is no Lintian warning because it is a *proposed*
format.

> So in short: If we write "must" we should be clear about the consequences
> if a package fails this requirement.

Indeed. I hope that is the only "must" I forgot about. :)

I will probably include all proposed changes this evening. I will send a
patch to d-s-maintainers for review before I commit it to the repo. I'd
encourage everyone interested in packaging work to subscribe to the list
if not already done so.

Best regards
Manuel