Octave in debian-science tasks

Hi,

Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> (2008-05-02 22:38:47) :
> On Fri, 2 May 2008, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
>
> >Who is actually maintaining the science/tasks pages?
>
> The tasks files can be modified by every member of the Custom Debian
> Distributions Alioth group:
>
>    https://alioth.debian.org/projects/cdd/
>
> >I see in the
> >Mathematics page [1] that octave2.1 is cited instead of octave3.0 but it
> >should be the other way around.
>
> I guess the entry in the mathematics task was based on the wrong assumption
> that there is a package octave which depends from the latest version that
> is declared as default by the octave packaging team.  Thus the tasks
> file said
>
>     Recommends: octave | octave2.1
>
> because there is no such package octave in the Debian pool, this page

There is a virtual package provided by octave2.1, octave2.9, octave3.0:
http://packages.debian.org/sid/octave

> >[1] http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/mathematics.php
>
> shows only the existing package Octave2.1.  My quick fix was to replace this
> by octave3.0.  Unfortunately this will be break once the next Octave version
> hits the Debian archive.  So you should consider filing a bug or simply talk
> to the Octave packaging team to provide a package that always depends from
> the latest stable version.  Examples are for instance the python and the
> postgresql-server package.

The idea was not to pull another octave version if the user has
already installed a precise octave version.

> Thanks for the hint

Thanks for the fix. I wonder whether it should be:

Recommends: octave | octave3.0

to recover the above effect (if I am not wrong).

Best regards,
Frédéric