Re: pkg-science, again

    Andreas> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:

    >> This group could take inspiration from pkg-scicomp or
    >> debian-med to create his own policy (goals are very similar to
    >> pkg-scicomp).

    Andreas> I'm a little bit concerned about the nomen est omen
    Andreas> _pkg_-science and _pkg_scicomp.  IMHO we need more than
    Andreas> just packaging random scientific software.

Well, perhaps, but:

    - This is the naming convention suggested by the alioth guidelines
      on the wiki[1], however authorative those are. Mind you, this is
      a bit self referential, since these are the guidelines for
      "packaging projects"

    - It is a bit cliched, but perfect is the enemy of good. I would
      rather see a successful, perhaps in some sense narrow project
      that could expand, rather than something very ambitious just
      peter out from lack of focus.

Those are of course, just my own views. I don't claim any kind of
authority.

All the best

David

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/PackagingProject