Re: pkg-science, again

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
>
>  > This group could take inspiration from pkg-scicomp or debian-med to
>  > create his own policy (goals are very similar to pkg-scicomp).
>
>  I'm a little bit concerned about the nomen est omen _pkg_-science
>  and _pkg_scicomp.  IMHO we need more than just packaging random
>  scientific software.  What Debian-Med does and what a CDD really
>  makes is forming a community around the software in the focused area,
>  try to teach them, building a network of cooperatioen etc.  It is not
>  only a technical thing like pure packaging.  It is about making
>  Debian the distribution of choice for scientists.

Well said.  I have been suggesting this for years.  I believe the
scientific method is generally thought to include "verifiability" and
particularly "reproducibility" as criteria for a well-performed
experiment.  Experimental computer science, algorithmic, or machine
learning results are fairly baseless unless accompanied by open source
software.  Therefore, I have claimed for years that all honest
experimental computer scientists should make a point to determine the
most standard way to offer their source code to the world, and follow
that convention.  I think at first this meant autoconf and automake
for me, but as I tried Slackware, RedHat, and Debian, I found out that
Debian performed the best (in terms of maintainability and reliability
with controlled circumstances) in the longer (multi-year) term.  So I
moved from spec files to debian directories and have never regretted
it.

I now write emails encouraging other scientists along these same
lines, to remember our scientific credo that is ostensibly supposed to
include the scientific method.  I see it as part of the 'open science'
movement [1].

Cheers,

Rudi

[1]: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=886906