Re: tasks overview wishlist: Canonical citing reference

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

> It seems that if we go the Debhelper way, we could make dh_references
> not install anything if DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS contains a 'nodoc' flag. When
> a large majority of the scientific packages would contain
> debian/references, we could enhance dh_references to maintain central
> bibliographies in mainstream formats using DPKG triggers. It should
> probably be possible to add comments such as "Cite this article if you
> use 'foo'" in the references.

Personally, I would prefer that to be something like "'foo' should be
cited as follows..." or "The appropriate citation for 'foo'
is...". That doesn't then appear to impose additional restrictions on
the use of the package that might conflict with the GPL (for
example). Ethical scientists would still cite the package if
appropriate.

Chris