Re: Request for help with GNU GSL package re-org

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 01:48:57PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> Now, to be honest, I don't have too much motivation to work on chopping the
> upstream sources into so-called free and non-free pieces, and re-arranging
> the build system to create the manual (when the outside configure script is
> on the code package).  And this will have to be done with every new
> release. Sigh.

I have gone through the same thing with gmp.

In the case of gmp, I got lucky: the doc sources are all in directory
"doc" so after downloading and un-tarring the upstream gmp, I create a
"DFSG free" gmp and "non-free" gmp-doc by simply moving the doc
directory from the former to the latter.  The gmp source then needs
some massaging of autoconfigury.  The gmp-doc build just needs a
simple makefile that basically does "cd doc && texi2pdf gmp.texi".

I just wrote a "get-orig-source" rule in gmp's debian/rules to do all
that.  So it's not too much of a burden.  I'd be willing to help you
with it if you like.

> So help would be welcome.  I'd also be open to group maintenance, and/or
> inserting it into debian-science or debian-scicomp or whatever it is now
> called as group-maintenance by svn works quite well for Open MPI [2] and I
> have too many packages anyway.

If you want to use svn, I'd recommend avoiding debian-science as they
seem hostile to svn [1].  I put gmp in debian-scicomp for that reason.

Regards,
-Steve

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2008/05/msg00173.html