Re: Request for help with GNU GSL package re-org

Am Sonntag, den 24.08.2008, 21:21 +0200 schrieb Ondrej Certik:
> Hi Dirk!
> Indeed, this is very unfortunate. Another example of this is the
> Czech-English dictionary:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/en/sid/stardict-english-czech
>
> which the author assembled by inviting people over the net to help him
> put the words in over the web interface so that we have a truly "free"
> czech english dictionary, but he also use GFDL for it, so it ended up
> in Debian non-free.

I think you didn't you look at the precise license terms, as in
stardict-english-czech-20080701/README.

Can anybody please explain how to publish a book with a license that
requires almost 200(!) lines of back cover text, including enlightening
author names like "ghost", "lJxSusrjgXkqxFudwV" and "h0das"?

Frankly, this is a perfect example of why invariant sections are a
problem in real life. This thing will never be published as a book.

Then again, this usage of the license raises another interesting
question:
If I take this dictionary and add new translations, surely my name
should appear in the back cover text as well, shouldn't it? Well, the
license doesn't allow this!

	Thomas