Re: debian-science repository structure

Am Montag, den 19.05.2008, 00:18 +0200 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> On Sun, 18 May 2008, David Bremner wrote:
>
> > At the moment I am preoccupied with deciding how to best transition
> > my quilt based packages to git. Of course keeping using quilt is an
> > option.
>
> Uhm, I hope so.  I really hope that using quilt _and_ git is no
> contradiction.

It isn't. I know some packages that use quilt and Git. It's essentially
which way of working you prefer: If you use branches, git-buildpackage
is dealing with them, creating a .diff.gz as usual. This has the
consequence that all logical "patches" are merged into one and you need
to checkout the package repo in order to see which diff chunk is what
logical change.

By using quilt inside Git you preserve that information for someone
having just the source package, though the package is not build-ready,
as some rule has to be called to patch the sources. (This should be
solved with the "3.0 (quilt)" format.)

Both ways have their advantages and drawbacks. (Remember the discussion
on debian-devel?) A developer working on a package has to know either
quilt or Git in order to understand the patching. As I do not know what
people prefer or know, I can't say which approach is better. Having
tried both, I tend to like the "branch" approach better, as it feels
more natural when working with Git. But I think everyone has to decide
it for h(er|im)self.

Best regards
Manuel