Re: debian-science repository structure

On Mon, 19 May 2008, Manuel Prinz wrote:

Sorry for being unclear! As stated in my other email, I was talking
about the task files. Those are (in my understanding) meta-information
about which packages belong the task or category and therefore which
tasks or categories a package belongs. For example: "tasks/physics"
mentions "foo" and "bar", "tasks/chemistry" mentions "bar" and "baz",
then "bar" is in the physics and chemistry task.

Ahh OK, so you mean the just existing tasks files at

  http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/cdd/projects/science/trunk/debian-science/tasks/?rev=0&sc=0

right?

There is no need to put a directory structure to the repo for that.

As I admited earlier this approach has some drawbacks - so I relay on
what seems to be a consensus on this list that we do not really need
this structure.

That's also the point I was trying to make: I do not object tasks, I
just object a task-based directory hierarchy. If one wants to download
all physics packages, this is trivial: Parse that tasks/physics file for
the package names and pass each package name to debcheckout. Done.

Ahh, that's perhaps a good idea for a tool that might go into the
cdd-common package.  In case somebody volunteers to write such a
script I would add this soon - if not it will be placed somewhere
in the middle of my cdd package todo list.

Writing a tool for that is a piece of cake and this is aproach is IMHO
superior than to checkout a part of the VCS tree that might not contain
a package because someone put it into a different category.

This is probably right.

Sorry for causing confusion on that!

No problem and thanks for the clarification