Re: {debian, pkg}-science repository [Was: Science linguistics and debian-science SVN repository at alioth]

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 08:54 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Thu, 8 May 2008, Ross Boylan wrote:
>
> > packagesearch should be useful.
>
> But sounds also quite incomplete.  I tested seeking "Biology" where
> I know a lot of relevant packages but it brought up not nearly half
> the relevant packages (even if it featured one that was new to me which
> made the hint helpful ;-)).  Do you have an idea on which technique
> packagesearch is based on?
>
> Kind regards
>
>          Andreas
I think it is a combination of tools, but in particular it uses debtags
(which is an ontology, if I understand the term).  So in that respect
it's like the ept tool suggested elsewhere.

The debtags themselves are built through a combination of manual and
automatic techniques.  In particular, anyone who thinks a package should
have a particular debtag can add the tag.  This is done through the
debtags page (sorry, don't have the reference) rather than through the
package itself.

Now that I think of it, extending (with a new tag) or using debtags
seems like a natural way to classify the packages that are in Debian.

Ross