Re: {debian, pkg}-science repository [Was: Science linguistics and debian-science SVN repository at alioth]

    Andreas> On Tue, 6 May 2008, David Bremner wrote:
    >> If there is to be any sort of reorganization, ...

    Andreas> So well, David, no answers from pkg-scicomp so far.  I do
    Andreas> not really know what this means, but I think we should
    Andreas> not let the activity boil down.  Would you take over the
    Andreas> job to restructure either pkg-science or start a
    Andreas> debian-science repository?  I leave the choice of the
    Andreas> name to you and also the VCS system you prefer.

The next week is a bit busy for me as well, but after that I could
work on this a bit.  I think Sylvestre Ledru intended to do some
reorganizational work, in particular borrowing the policy from
pkg-scicomp (although I just had a look for said policy and did not
see it). Sylvestre, maybe we can split the work up somehow?

On the purely technical side, if we do decide to go with a git VCS,
then what do people think about the pkg-phototools "best packaging
practices" as a starting point?

	   http://pkg-phototools.alioth.debian.org/

It does not seem to make sense to me to get carried away with
infrastructure from the very start (also, like almost everyone else, I
have only so much time for Debian). What do we need minimally to get
started?  I would say a list of more specific and related projects,
and some kind of brief description of the goals.  I would also suggest
that any kind of categorization take place in a wiki/webpage, so it is
fluid. Also git naturally produces a one repo per package viewpoint
(which is a bit awkward for people like pkg-perl, but not so
conclusive for us, I think).

David