Re: debian-science and science-* packages

Le 27 août 07 à 08:04, Andreas Tille a écrit :

     * The `-astronomy' package should also depend on what-ever
implementation that exists in Debian of `IDL' (Interactive Data
       Language).  For some odd reason, that language seems popular
       among astrologists - sorry astronomers :-)

I wonder whether it might be reasonable to implement a scheme like

    science-<x>    and   science-<x>-dev

while the later contains developent libraries etc.  In this case
most probably IDL would go into the science-astronomy-dev dependency
list.

I think not, it's an interpreted language. I would compare with Yorick (which I know better ;-) : the yorick-dev package contains what you need to develop yorick plugins, while the yorick package contains all you need to run yorick. Both Yorick and IDL/GDL are useful in themselves: just launch them and you're able to compute "2*2", or load an array into memory and do some visualisation or number crunching.

On the other hand, IDL/GDL, yorick and a few others are really general tools, so a "science-general" or "-common" could be a better idea. I would probably "Recommend" or "Suggest" it in most other science-* packages.

Regards, T.