Re: debian-science and science-* packages

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007, Christian Holm Christensen wrote:

I think a "Recommends" would be better than "Depends", since that allows
one to install, and keep having installed, the meta-packages even if
there are problems with the recommended/dependant packages - which does
happen in unstable.

See me previous comment about new cdd-dev tools. (They just turn
Depends in the tasks files into Recommends.)

     * Perhaps `-physics' should recommend `-statistics'.
Well, we will have meta packages that will contain general scientific
tools (statistics, typesetting and viewing in the current suggestion)
which will probably be usefull in every specific science and that
should be in the list of Recommends (or Suggests?).

     * The `-astronomy' package should also depend on what-ever
       implementation that exists in Debian of `IDL' (Interactive Data
       Language).  For some odd reason, that language seems popular
       among astrologists - sorry astronomers :-)

I wonder whether it might be reasonable to implement a scheme like

    science-<x>    and   science-<x>-dev

while the later contains developent libraries etc.  In this case
most probably IDL would go into the science-astronomy-dev dependency
list.

Thanks for your comments