Re: debian-science and science-* packages

Hi all,

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 08:30 -0700, Kevin B. McCarty wrote:
> On 8/24/07, Frederic Lehobey <Frederic@lehobey.net> wrote:
>
> > I have gathered this information (and more) into a temptative
> > debian-science source package building several science-* packages
> > (with cdd-dev machinery).

Very good idea.

> > I am unsure if it is ready to be uploaded to unstable. But I would be
> > happy to hear your feedback and suggestions on dependencies to have
> > (or not) and take them into account.
> >
> >   http://lehobey.net/debian-science

Erhm, any particular reason this is not a "real" apt-get repository?
I'd suggest using "reprepro" (the one from unstable is really cool).

> I have just a few comments.
>
> 1) Should these metapackages Recommend instead of Depending on the
> real ones?  I see that is what the education-* metapackages do and
> presumably they have some reason for it.

I think a "Recommends" would be better than "Depends", since that allows
one to install, and keep having installed, the meta-packages even if
there are problems with the recommended/dependant packages - which does
happen in unstable.

> 3) science-physics should definitely recommend root-system once that's
> out of experimental.

I would certainly second that (as I'm the maintainer of that set of
packages :-).  The ETA for ROOT in unstable is a bit uncertain.  What
I'd really like to happen, is if someone with more exotic platforms
could give it a try - especially the mips, mipsel, hppa, and similar
platforms.  The source packages of ROOT 5.16/00 (latest production
release) can be found at

	deb-src http://mirror.phy.bnl.gov/debian-root unstable main contrib

or directly from

	http://mirror.phy.bnl.gov/debian-root/pool/main/r/root-system

Some other questions/suggestions

      * I see (though I may have missed it) no mention of GSL - perhaps
        that should be added to one of `-statistics', `-mathematics', or
        `-physics'.
      * Perhaps `-physics' should recommend `-statistics'.
      * On principle, I think the `-electronics' package should `depend'
        on `ghdl' (and `freehdl') at the same level as `verilog', if not
        at a higher level :-) (I really dislike Verilog relative to VHDL
        - it's like Fortran77 and C++ - once you've done C++, Fortran
        seems plain silly :-)
      * `-viewing' should perhaps also depend on `g3data'.
      * The `-astronomy' package should also depend on what-ever
        implementation that exists in Debian of `IDL' (Interactive Data
        Language).  For some odd reason, that language seems popular
        among astrologists - sorry astronomers :-)

Yours,

--
 ___  |  Christian Holm Christensen
    | |  Address: Sankt Hansgade 23, 1. th.  Phone:  (+45) 35 35 96 91
     _|           DK-2200 Copenhagen N       Cell:   (+45) 24 61 85 91
    _|            Denmark                    Office: (+45) 353  25 404
 ____|   Email:   cholm@nbi.dk               Web:    www.nbi.dk/~cholm
 | |