Possible gatherings of Debian-science people

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 04:32:53PM +0200, Frederic Lehobey wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 09:16:57PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
>
> > I wonder how the status of a proposed CDD meeting or Debian science
> > meeting in Extremadura is?  I vanished a little bit from the
> > scene in the first half of this year and thus I'm seeking for
> > the following information:
> >
> >    1. Is there any sponsored meeting not yet asigned and thus
> >       free for a CDD / Debian-science meeting?
> >    2. Is there any interest or some work in progress towards
> >       such meeting.
>
> Not that I know.  The http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScienceMeetings has
> not gathered much people.  But never too late to organise such a
> meeting if enough people are interested in (I think it will be
> post-etch now) even independently of the Extremadura meetings.

The Extremadura meetings are over, but a similar opportunity has been
proposed by CETRIL (and somewhat not enough advertised) in Soissons
(France). The coming session (in February) is dedicated to Debian-edu:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/DevCampFrance2007
but is not strictly limited to it (I feel there are many skills that
can be shared between CDD-like distributions). They still have (many)
places left for those who might be interested in.

> I think of some forthcoming events that might welcome such a gathering:
>  - the next Fosdem in Belgium (February 2007)

http://www.debian.org/events/2007/0224-fosdem
But nothing really science related so far. Who will be there?

>  - the next Debconf in Scotland ;

Not being registered there, I do not know whether something related to
science has been proposed (but I have not seen anything such on this
list).

>  - the next LSM / RMLL (in France, July 2007).

http://www.rmll.info/ (no English version so far, it seems, sorry)
There will be a science topic (2 days). I am involved in its
organisation and will send a call for contributions on this list in
the coming days.

> There might be others too.

There is a possibility (not yet confirmed) of a CETRIL DevCamp similar
to the one mentioned above for Debian-edu (30 people) around LSM/RMLL
event (week before or after July 14th). Would any people of
Debian-science be interested in participating in such a coding event?
(I am pushing the Debian-science topic to be considered alongside
Debian-edu).

> Are there enough people to gather?  ;-)  On which subjects?

Personally, I am (slowly and) silently working on subjects as live-cd
production with debian-live, archive management for debian-science
packages that are not (yet) in the official archive and packaging.

With respect to the above events, I will attend Fosdem and try to free
myself to go to the Debian-edu DevCamp. I am unsure whether Debconf is
of any interest with respect to science related matters (I had no time
to propose a talk there). And I will try to make the LSM / RMLL
science topic an attractive event (any suggestions welcome, the
earlier, the better).  :-)

Best regards,
Frédéric Lehobey