Re: [Solved] Re: Extra AUTHOR section in a docbook xml manpage.

Am Donnerstag, den 20.04.2006, 10:03 +0900 schrieb Charles Plessy:
> On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 01:21:33AM +0200, Daniel Leidert wrote :
> >
> > I would further not use:
> >
> > <address>&dhemail;</address>
> > <author>
> >   &dhfirstname;
> >   &dhsurname;
> > </author>
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks a lot, it solved my problem. I was using the template from
> dh_make. Shall I file a bug ?

No. The upcoming 1.70.0 release improves manpage stylesheets a lot and
then the dh_make _could_ be changed. But as long as we use the buggy and
outdated 1.68.1 stylesheets, it doesn't make sense. And there is already
a wishlist report to update the docbook-xsl package.

> > Instead use the sample you can find e.g. in the manpage sources at
> > http://cvs.wgdd.de/cgi-bin/cvsweb/fglrx_man/. Any extra AUTHORS section
> > in the XML source is not necessary. Also edition, date and productname
> > (or refmiscinfo calss=software|version|source) are supported with the
> > upcoming stylesheets.
> >
> > I suggest: Do not build the manpage during build-time. Build it earlier
> > so you can drop any dependency to the outdated docbook-xsl package. The
> > next problem is, the the catalog rewrites the 'current'-HTTP-source to
> > the outdated Debian package.
>
> Actually, in the long term, I would like the bioinformatic packages I am
> creating to be part of collectively maintained project, so I am hesitant
> to build the manpages in a separate process.

Have a look at the libxml2 or libxslt project. They write the manpage
with XML. The manpage itself is created by the Makefile but shipped with
the source. A similar way can be done in the debian/ directory. Add the
source there, but run xsltproc to create the manpage. This is IMHO not a
problem in a collectively maintained project.

Just my opinion.
Regards, Daniel