CLASSPATH in Java, need advice

I'm setting up Blackdown Java on my debian desktop. I've done a
successful apt-get install from their repository. I will be using it
to investigate/use some .jar files that I've downloaded from the web.
I'm an adept user of C++ but have no experience with Java. I see
mention of CLASSPATH in the various instructions, but no advise as to
what considerations go into deciding on where to locate java class
libraries. Is there a recommendation, or consensus, on what to use?
Maybe it has been set and I just don't realize it. Do I have to reboot
after installing the Debian package with apt-get?

TIA
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net