RE: specifying virtio block device as root filesystem for Debian S390X install?

Okay, the installer finished, but I ran into some weirdness on the
subsequent reboot - I modified the qemu command line to remove the
kernel/initrd parameters (since they are no longer needed) - I would assume
that ZIPL on /dev/vda1 should take care of the boot then.  The following
command line is used with the s390-zipl.rom file to boot the VM up -

qemu-system-s390x.exe -machine type=s390-virtio -m 512 -drive
file=linux.disk,if=none,id=disk0 -device
virtio-blk-s390,drive=disk0,id=virtio-disk0 -device
virtio-net-s390,netdev=net0 -netdev user,id=net0 -k en-us -redir
tcp:9022::22

However, this time the QEMU virtual console virtcon0 shows a blank on start,
I don't see any activities on the disk, sshd doesn't seem to show up so I
cannot login and see what's up, and I can't tell what was happening.

If I use the CCW version:

qemu-system-s390x.exe -machine type=s390-ccw-virtio-2.5 -m 512 -hda
linux.disk -device virtio-net-ccw,netdev=net0 -netdev user,id=net0 -k en-us
-redir tcp:9022::22

Then I'll see a console, followed by some complaints about missing
/sys/bus/ccw/devices/virtio/cutype (sysfs not populating info on the CCW
bus?)

Any pointers?