Re: specifying virtio block device as root filesystem for Debian S390X install?

On Mon, Nov 02, 2015 at 10:46:39AM -0500, Kevin Kwan (Personal) wrote:
> it turns out that since I was running the Debian 9/stretch kernel/initrd, it
> was not loading the ext3/4 modules due to missing modules.  This is likely
> the reason why partman failed to give me an option to make the filesystem.
> I had to boot the machine up on the Debian 8/jessie kernel/initrd, shoehorn
> in the netcfg_1.134_s390x udeb to get rid of that virtio eth0 error, and
> then mess with the dasd postint to bypass the DASD designation.  However, I
> was able to get partman working and got the filesystem doing, and it's
> installing the base system now, so I suppose that it is okay.

FWIW, there are daily builds on [1] that should have matching-up
kernel/modules. But yes, that breaks quite often during testing's
lifetime until it's cut to stable.

Please do report bugs that you encounter.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

[1] http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/s390x/daily/generic/