From: Frans Pop [mailto:elendil@planet.nl]
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 11:38 AM
To: debian-s390@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Trying To Get Started

First of all, when you ask a question on a mailing list, please always
follow up to that mailing list instead of replying to the person who
replied to you.

On Wednesday 23 September 2009, Martin, Larry D wrote:
> I downloaded 5.0.3 from mirrors.usc.edu and that seemed to work fine.  I
> then burned CD1 (using Easy CD Creator).  I then use the HMC and "Load
> from CD/ROM".
>
> I get the following:
>
> [17179570.168401] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root
> fs on unknown-block(1,0)
>
> Can I not use this technique to install Debian?  What is the proper
> methodology?

I have just confirmed that booting from CD does not work. We'll have to
look into that. As I said in my previous mail, it is a rather unusual
installation method (only confirmed by the fact that nobody reported it is
broken, and has been for quite some time).

Please use the "generic" images I linked to in my previous mail instead.
Unfortunately I cannot give you detailed instructions myself on how exactly
to use them as I'm only familiar with the Hercules emulator [1] and not
with real hardware.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] On hercules it is done by defining a '3505' type device as
         kernel.debian parmfile.debian initrd.debian autopad eof
    and IPLing off that.