Re: Trying To Get Started

Martin, Larry D wrote:
> I downloaded Debian 405 some time ago and that loads up to the point that
> it tries to continue the install from a mirror site.  At this point all I
> can get is "Server not there or kernel is unavailable".

There's a known issue for installing Etch. You'll need to add the following
boot parameter in parmfile.debian to make downloading installer components
and packages from a mirror work:
   debian-installer/allow_unauthenticated=true

See also http://bugs.debian.org/536353.

Note that you will need installer images with kernel version 2.6.18-6-s390
for the installation to succeed; if you use images that have an older
kernel version the installation will fail at some point. 4.0.5 may well be
too old, but I'm not sure.

The error you quote is not one I recognize. Please give exact error
messages if you need additional help.

> So I tried to download 503 from the default site and the ftp starts and
> then just stops.  So I tried a different site (carroll.aset.psu.edu) and
> that site had 501 for download.

Do you mean the download of the installer images themselves fail, or the
downloading of packages during the installation?

If you're using FTP from within some mainframe utility, then please make
sure your transfer settings are correct for binary data. Download
fairlures are most often caused by that (unfortunately I cannot tell you
what the correct settings are). Maybe try downloading the images to a
regular PC first.

The "generic" images available on the mirrors now for the 5.0.3 point
release of Lenny [1] are known to work correctly. Note that not all
mirrors support all architectures.
Most "country" mirrors (ftp.XX.debian.org) should be good. I have
successfully installed Lenny 5.0.3 using the generic images and
ftp.nl.debian.org.

> I downloaded CD1 and loaded it - it very quickly gets a kernel failure
> and a Disabled Wait.

That sounds as if the CD has an older version of the installer which did
have a serious kernel bug. In general using a CD does not offer any real
advantages over using the 'generic' images.

Cheers,
FJP

[1]http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/installer-s390/current/images/generic/