Re: supported Ruby packages

Quack,

On 2020-07-15 06:07, Utkarsh Gupta wrote:

This thread has taken a turn it shouldn't have.
And I am not going to fight fire by fire. I'll try to be more
empathetic, as we all should.

I'm so glad to hear this. I was trying to reach you through your anger but felt I just got things worse and it made me feel really bad.

This has been previously stated (somewhere) and I'd like to state it again:
I *do* take care of the stable updates of Rails.
I am not sure why people are assuming it's not supported. But since there's confusion amongst all, I'd like to clear it so that we're on the same page.

Everything started with Praveen's reply to Beuc:
"Just like gitlab was removed from stable, rails can also get removed from stable if no one steps up to maintain it. I'm happy with rails in just unstable for my use cases. A package can be supported only when people are willing to support it."

He never mentioned you cared and it's true I did not check the history since this comment emanates from a Rails maintainer directly.

I have been taking care of stable and oldstable and oldoldstable update
for Rails. And will continue to do so with the best of my ability (and time
and energy). But please know that they're limited, too.

Then it's fine and as you said there's nothing to act upon. Since security updates are unplanned then you can redirect people to the team when you're overloaded.

And so is Praveen's. And perhaps everyone would have guessed it by
now what made me feel very upset. And I still am. Pretty much.

Fortunately this can be fixed. I saw Praveen's mail about the transition and failing packages so it means he still do care.

There seems to be a misunderstanding in understanding the misunderstanding. There were 3 (thanks to this thread, 2 now) uploaders and care-takers of rails. Praveen has been doing such an amazing job in maintaining and taking care
of Rails and its transition.

I have nothing bad to say about this maintenance.

Huh!? I send RFH emails after meetings for rails. Nobody replies to that.
Praveen and I, both have sent several emails that weren't replied to.

My bad then because I missed your calls. Not that this change my own availability though :-/. The more I'm overloaded the less I'm properly able to follow communication channels, I focus on the packages I know and only (barely) talk to people I know well. I was very happy to be able to join at the Paris meeting so that I could be more in touch with you all, but I guess that would need to be reproduced.

I am sorry for the "very aggressive" reply, which shouldn't have been
felt and written if the initial mail from your end could have been a little
more empathetic and not costing what it did.

I'm not sure I get what's wrong with my initial mail even if I understand that was what triggered this heated discussion. As said above Praveen's words led me to badly asses the situation. The fact Beuc ended-up here seemed to confirm that. I just searched for a solution, not blame, maybe I should have written this more explicitly. Since I don't see people fighting here like in the rest of Debian I probably assumed it was obvious.

As for assumptions I thought about what you said. I agree there's a lot of these and that's not necessary good. But the fact is Debian has a lot of history and previous people had their own view about how to build this project and it's true there's a strong notion of commitment around it. NM people also had a bad time at some point because we had people coming to get their little toys in and leaving it to rot and others to care. All these bad experiences reinforced these expectations. But I think it's changing and that's why teams are now commonplace in Debian. Several talks (I really love this one: https://www.enricozini.org/blog/2017/debian/consensually-doing-things-together/) discuss around this topic. Now I think noone but you can know your limits and unless you express them people will still hope/expect you're going to do the job. So before I understood the situation my point was really about clarifying and notifying others, not pushing people to do more. Sorry again for missing the call for help.

Btw thanks for your work around ruby-pg. I hit some problem when working on redmine and you were faster than me :-).

*hugs*

OMG I love hugs :-)
Many hugs then!
\_o<