Re: supported Ruby packages

Hi,

On 7/7/20 7:36 PM, Marc Dequènes (duck) wrote:
> Well I have to admit I do not agree with Praveen's conception. The
> general acceptance in Debian for as long I've been in is that once
> you're in the maint/uploaders fields you're responsible of the package
> wherever it is in Debian.

Well, this is...bad!
First, I hope you're not forgetting that Debian is run by "volunteers"
and this is all volunteering work.
This also means that if, for any reasons, I don't have time (or even if
I  just don't want to), no one can poke me to do the work. Any kind of work.

If you're not "thankful" for the work one does, please don't be
"thankless" either.
(and even while I hope that wasn't your agenda, yet it has led someone
to remove themselves from the uploaders field!)

Which brings me to the next point..
The package is team maintained which you "claim" to have been a part of
for "quite some time". If it is still not clear yet, I explicitly
welcome your help for rails maintenance.

It's funny how one assumes that they are "accountable" and "responsible"
for all kinds of work for all the packages one maintains. Sigh.
I am in maint/uploaders field for 157 packages at the moment, so I ask
you very clearly here, would you expect me to fix every bug (or say,
CVEs) in Sid, Bullseye, Buster, and Stretch?

Let me know if you think so. I'll be happy to orphan each of them so you
don't hold me "accountable" and "responsible" for the package wherever
it is in Debian, the next time.

> It's very interesting because I've been in this team for quite some time
> and I never knew of this.

...sigh.

> Now for Redmine I do care about fixes and security as much as possible
> (all suites, bpo included), but I clearly cannot be a caretaker for the
> huge dependency tree lying beyond (except for the few bits where I
> decided to be in the maint/uploaders fields).

You might also want to be thankful for the work that other team members
do in taking care of that "huge dependency tree lying beyond".
Otherwise, if someone decides to orphan them all, it'd be ironically sad
for you.

Best,
Utkarsh