Re: Fixing broken (non-)dependency for ruby-elasticsearch

On 6/11/14 11:34 PM, "Cédric Boutillier" <boutil@debian.org> wrote:

>> >You can try to approach the release team and ask their opinion about
>> >this package that was prevented to enter testing because of a buggy
>> >build-dependency that was used only to run some (minor?) tests.
>
>> Hi Cedric.  Thanks for the analysis - I was pretty down on the future of
>> this package but couldn't nail down the exact reasons.  However it turns
>> out that somehow ruby-elasticsearch made it just in the nick of time!
>

>>https://packages.qa.debian.org/r/ruby-elasticsearch/news/20141105T163920Z
>>.h
>> tml
>
>Great news. I am glad the package got to testing in time!

Me too.

>> I'm not really sure why as I don't believe the ruby-patron problem was
>> fixed, but I'm not going to complain about it.  (-:
>
>In fact, my analysis was not completely correct. Migration to testing is
>blocked by migration but not by that of build-dependencies it seems.
>But my guess is that ruby-elasticsearch will soon get a RC bug, because
>it is not buildable inside Jessie (because of ruby-patron). It will be
>time then to prepare a patch for this issue (maybe it is even better to
>start working on it now, just in case).

As you predicted a RC bug has appeared against ruby-elasticsearch related
to the ruby-patron dependency.  I've just pushed a patch to the repo that
removes the build dependency and the one associated test.  I think a good
case can be made for this being a minor tweak as ruby-patron is only one
of a handful of transport adapters and the test that's disabled is only
one out of 127.

I've filed an unblock bug (cc'd this list) and it should appear shortly.
I believe the next step is for someone to make an upload of the new
package.  Are you able to do this?

Regards,

Tim.