Re: Fixing broken (non-)dependency for ruby-elasticsearch

Hi Tim,

On Mon, Nov 03, 2014 at 11:19:50PM +0000, Potter, Tim (Cloud Services) wrote:
> Hi everyone.  I’ve noticed that the ruby-elasticsearch is being
> blocked from testing by the ruby-patron package, which is currently
> not building for i386.  I’ve read the README more closely and the
> ruby-patron library is not a strict runtime dependency, but rather
> only for optimal performance by implementing HTTP keep-alive.

> If I change the dependency to Recommends or Suggests will that allow
> it to go through to testing?  From poking around on the web it looks
> like the fix for ruby-patron is not an easy fix, and I’d like to get
> ruby-elasticsearch into testing.

It seems that the problem with ruby-patron is not a problem of
dependency but of build-dependency. To solve the problem, you would need
to remove the build-dependency on ruby-patron and deactivate all the
tests using patron (in ruby-elasticsearch-transport it seems).

I'm afraid that it will be difficult to make this change move to
testing, since the freeze is today, and this package never was in
testing before. Fixing patron wouldn't help, because it is not in
testing either.

You can try to approach the release team and ask their opinion about
this package that was prevented to enter testing because of a buggy
build-dependency that was used only to run some (minor?) tests.

Best wishes,