Re: Regarding gitlab

Hello everyone,

Alexander is working on updating his gitlab/gitlab-bundle debian package
to the latest stable release, 4.0.0. Once he's done, I'll be able to
adapt it to the Debian standards.

I just have a few questions once again :)

- There are quite a few ruby libraries that will need to be packaged for
  Debian in order to get gitlab into our repos. I don't yet have an
  exact number of new packages needed for 4.0.0, but it will probably be
  well over a dozen packages. Will that be a problem? If not, how would
  we manage so many sponsorship requests?

- In gitlab's Gemfile, I can see where it needs some specific patched
  libs in order to function. Thus, they would be of no use to any other
  programs, which is why I don't know how to package them. Perhaps as
  gitlab-libs? This is the bit that troubles me:

# GITLAB patched libs
gem "grit",          git: "https://github.com/gitlabhq/grit.git";,           ref: '7f35cb98ff17d534a07e3ce6ec3d580f67402837'
gem "omniauth-ldap", git: "https://github.com/gitlabhq/omniauth-ldap.git";,  ref: 'f038dd852d7bd473a557e385d5d7c2fd5dc1dc2e'
gem 'yaml_db',       git: "https://github.com/gitlabhq/yaml_db.git";,        ref: '98e9a5dca43e3fedd3268c76a73af40d1bdf1dfd'
gem 'grack',         git: "https://github.com/gitlabhq/grack.git";,          ref: 'ba46f3b0845c6a09d488ae6abdce6ede37e227e8'
gem 'grit_ext',      git: "https://github.com/gitlabhq/grit_ext.git";,       ref: '8e6afc2da821354774aa4d1ee8a1aa2082f84a3e'

  Most of the dependencies just require a minimum or specific version,
  or even no specific version at all. These won't be a problem. But
  gitlab's patched dependencies are not only specific to the package,
  but are bound specific to a git ref as well.

- Under the same Gemfile, there are a few dependency groups; :assets,
  :development, :test and :production. My first impression is to package
  just the former and the last, since devel and test seem like they
  won't be needed for normal use. Would that be correct?

- Even if we packaged all the missing dependencies, as of now packages
  like rails3 do not meet the minimum version required by gitlab. I
  suppose rails3 has been kept frozen since August, so surely it will be
  updated once Wheezy is released, right?

Thank you all for your time and patience!

--
Daniel Martí - mvdan@mvdan.cc - GPG 0x58BF72C3