Distkeys

Hi!

We developed a tool to distribute SSH keys also to servers behind gateways behind gateways in Ruby, also from a list of keys to a list of hosts, to execute a script on each host, to scp a file to a list of hosts and to ssh to a list of host one after another, plus some other little features. Main feature is key distribution to servers. We use it for all our own and many customer machines.

We tought it to be a good idea to release it as free software.

So here it is:

https://www.teamix.org/projects/distkeys

git://oss.teamix.org/distkeys.git

We did not finally decide on a license. Current favorite is GPL 2 or later which should be compatible with the licenses the libraries the script use use[1].

ruby: Ruby 2-clause BSDL (see the file BSDL)

ruby-net-ssh: Expat

ruby-net-ssh-gateway: Expat, I think

ruby-net-sftp: Expat, I think

ruby-termios: GPL

What are usual licenses for such a kind of program? Do you have any recommendation or see any issues with GPL, especially in its Version 3 variant?

Since we use Debian ourselves on many system, we would like to make a Debian package out of it.

Since this is not (yet) a gem, but a custom developed ruby script, I would like some advice on where to start with packaging in a way that is meets the standards of the Debian Ruby team. Any hints, any pointers?

Currently there is also an issue with Distkeys on Ruby 1.9 which is described in the README:

Creating a backup to .ssh/authorized_keys-2012-05-16.bak if not already done today...
Uploading keys to .ssh/authorized_keys-new...
File does exist and has correct size, moving to .ssh/authorized_keys...
/usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/net/ssh/connection/session.rb:296:in `[]=': can't add a new key into hash during iteration (RuntimeError)
[…]

I would like to have some help with that.

For the moment I'd like to step up as a maintainer for Distkeys, although I didn't to merges yet. I have written most of the recent code, which I like to have feedback to as well, if possible. It works, but I am sure the is potential to improve it.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses

Thanks,
--
Martin Steigerwald - teamix GmbH - http://www.teamix.de
gpg: 19E3 8D42 896F D004 08AC A0CA 1E10 C593 0399 AE90