Re: Regarding gitlab

Please keep me on CC, I'm not on the list

On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 10:19:07AM +0100, Daniel Martí wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> > I would be happy to help with that and review and/or upload packages for
> > Ruby gems needed for gitlab. Just contact debian-ruby@lists.debian.org
> > for questions or your RFS requests.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Cédric
>
> I couldn't do much about gitlab during the break, but I'm now making up
> for it :) I contacted Alexander Golovko <alexandro@ankalagon.ru>, who
> has forked the gitlab project from github and worked on a working debian
> package. He has allowed me to work on gitlab taking advantage on his
> already done work, which is fantastic. There will need to be lots of
> modifications, like the removing of the binary gitlab-bundle package for
> the ruby gems amongst others.
>
> Just a few questions:
>
> - I believe it is sensible to keep his current changelog file in
>   essence, since it has been him doing the work on the package source.
>   Would you agree? Would it be better to sum it all up in one pre-debian
>   changelog entry, or would it be best to just ignore his changelog and
>   just mention him in the debian/copyright file?

I would ask that it only contain a single entry, with a single changelog
item, closing the ITP. You can thank him in the debian/copyright, or if
he'd like to be a co-maintainer.

> - I'll need to package a few gems, as well as gitlab itself. The plan is
>   to package them all under pkg-ruby-extras; would that suit you? I see
>   here [0] that many other apps such as jekyll are in there too, so I
>   guess it fits in there.

I'll let the rubyists answer that :)

> - Will we wait for the freeze to end to start bringing the packages to
>   the main repos, or will we start using sid/experimental right away?
>   I'm not very experienced with ITPs as of yet, I was just wondering.

It's quite alright to push to unstable, if the package is already NEW,
since it won't be in testing anyway, so updates to testing via unstable
aren't needed

> Thank you for your time.

Quite! Thank you for yours!

> Dan