Re: Debian Ruby Policy transition and apt-listbugs

Dear Francesco,

On Mon, Oct 08, 2012 at 11:35:05PM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:
> I am the maintainer of apt-listbugs.

> I am looking at the page [1] that describes the current status of the
> Debian Ruby Policy transition. I arrived there from the Ruby Team wiki
> page [2].

> [1] http://pkg-ruby-extras.alioth.debian.org/wheezy/details.html
> [2] http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby

> I see that apt-listbugs is listed among the packages using the old
> policy. This puzzles me a bit, frankly speaking.

> Please help me in understanding what is still missing from my package
> in order to be compliant with the new Debian Ruby Policy.
> [And please Cc: me on replies, as I am not subscribed to the
> debian-ruby list, thanks in advance!]

> I thought that everything was in order...

> Please see a past message of mine to this list, where I asked for
> confirmations [3] and got positive answers [4].
> Please also note that apt-listbugs/0.1.8 (which is currently in
> unstable and is going to migrate soon into testing) dropped the
> dependency on the last old-style-named package (libgettext-ruby1.8
> replaced by ruby-gettext).

> [3] https://lists.debian.org/debian-ruby/2012/04/msg00068.html
> [4] https://lists.debian.org/debian-ruby/2012/04/msg00076.html
> [5] http://packages.qa.debian.org/a/apt-listbugs/news/20120929T144734Z.html

> If there's anything else I can do, in order to help the Debian Ruby
> Policy transition moving forward, please tell me and I will try to
> cooperate!

Currently, the packages in this list are obtained from the following UDD
query:

  select distinct s.source as source, p.package as binary, s.architecture
  as arch, coalesce(pc.insts, 0) as popcon, coalesce(pcs.insts, 0) as
  popcon_src, s.maintainer as maintainer, s.uploaders as uploaders
  from sources_uniq s, packages p
  left join popcon pc on (p.package = pc.package)
  left join popcon_src pcs on (p.source = pcs.source)
  where s.distribution = 'debian' and s.release='sid'
  and p.distribution = 'debian' and p.release='sid' and s.source =
  p.source
  and (s.source ~ 'lib.*-ruby' or p.package ~ 'lib.*-ruby.*' or
  s.build_depends ~ '.*ruby-pkg-tools.*' or s.build_depends_indep ~
  '.*ruby-pkg-tools.*' or p.depends ~ '.*ruby1.8.*')
  order by source, p.package;

I am afraid that this query is not really accurate and that the list
still contains some false positives, as I believe that packages
depending on ruby1.8 will be matched with the query. See for example
subversion.

I see that you list as depency libzlib-ruby1.8, which is a virtual
package provided by libruby1.8, already listed. You can probably just
drop this one. Other than that, I think that apt-listbugs is compliant
to the new policy, contrary to what the list says.

Team members, would it be more correct to replace in the query
  p.depends ~ '.*ruby1.8.*'
by something like
  p.depends ~ 'lib.*-ruby.*'
?