About apt-listbugs and ruby 1.9.x

Hi everybody,
I've been informed by Serafeim (Cc:ed) that apt-listbugs is being
discussed as one of the blockers for the ruby 1.8.x → 1.9.x migration
in Debian:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-ruby/2012/01/msg00011.html

Since I am one of the two co-maintainers of apt-listbugs, I would like
to chime in and try to clarify the current status of ruby 1.9.x support
in apt-listbugs.

Warning! I am *not* subscribed to the debian-ruby list, hence,
please Cc: me on replies. Thanks!

The status of apt-listbugs with respect to ruby 1.9.x is the following:
the program does not currently support ruby 1.9.x, unfortunately.

This issue is described in bug #432200:
http://bugs.debian.org/432200

The main blockers seem to be a SOAP library for ruby 1.9.x (soap4r was
included in the ruby 1.8.x library, but has been dropped by ruby
1.9.x), and, possibly, a test-unit library for ruby 1.9.x (another
library that seems to have been dropped from ruby 1.9.x).

Thomas Müller (the other co-maintainer of apt-listbugs) is working on
the packaging of a SOAP library for ruby 1.9.x:
http://bugs.debian.org/629979
The package is currently under review by our sponsor (Serafeim
Zanikolas) and should be uploaded to unstable in the hopefully near
future.
There has already been some early discussion about this effort on this
same list: see the sub-thread that starts here
http://lists.debian.org/debian-ruby/2011/06/msg00019.html

As far as the test-unit library is concerned, it is used in a test
suite currently run at package build time.
It was mentioned as one of the libraries dropped from ruby 1.9.x in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-ruby/2011/06/msg00050.html
No further investigation has been carried out on this front yet.

So, to summarize: we are aware of the lack of ruby 1.9.x support in
apt-listbugs and we are working on it!  ;-)

I see that Sam Ruby has offered help:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-ruby/2012/01/msg00012.html
but he seems to be unable to reproduce the issue:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-ruby/2012/01/msg00023.html
I think that this may be explained by the fact that apt-listbugs
currently forces the use of ruby 1.8.x, through dependencies and with
the shebang (#!/usr/bin/ruby1.8).
You'll probably see the crash, as soon as you modify that shebang so
that apt-listbugs gets interpreted by ruby 1.9.x

I hope that this (longer than expected, I must admit) message helps to
clarify things up!
Bye and thanks to everyone who is volunteering his/her time to improve
Debian and Ruby in Debian!

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!