Re: Introducting gem2deb

On Sat, 2011-01-08 at 21:42 +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So, apparently I needed the feeling that I didn't have to worry anymore with
> Ruby to get motivated again. I've spent some time today working on a
> replacement for our packaging scripts, using dh7, and I made good progress.
>
> It's called gem2deb. It's built as a set of small scripts, but combining them
> later in a single "get me this gem and build me a .deb" tool will be easy, as
> all the logic is in libraries.

Very cool Lucas. I haven't put any time into debigem since its release,
so I'm glad to see you're going forward with making ruby packaging
easier.

There's an effort going on right now to unify all of these "take IDE and
publishing artifacts and make a package" efforts under one umbrella:

https://launchpad.net/pkgme

I've committed to doing a ruby backend for this tool, and I haven't
actually touched it yet, so I'll evaluate your tool as well as debigem
before I start on that. The aim is to make it much easier for authors to
"do the right things" during development, so that we start with high
quality source packages without any packaging effort on upstream's part.