Re: ITP: libcmd-ruby -- library for building line-oriented command interpreters in Ruby

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 02:15:47AM +0100, Dafydd Harries wrote:
> Ar 15/04/2005 am 18:53, ysgrifennodd David Nusinow:
> > On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 12:39:25AM +0200, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
> > > We might take Ruby Stdlib route then... for now there are only two small
> > > packages. If we accumalate more, we could bundle them and still have
> > > virtual packages pointing at this one, if someone just wants the `cmd'
> > > library.
> > > However, the significant difference with stdlib is there are several
> > > upstream sources, so the syncing/versioning/bundling problem will get bigger,
> > > the many different upstreams are involved.
> >
> > Yeah, I'm reconsidering. I'm still leaning towards the bundling idea, but
> > more the way you describe it, with individual packages that can all be
> > pulled in by a libruby-extras metapackage.
>
> Bundling code from different sources into one source package is
> distasteful to me too. Or, at least, it is in cases where the different
> pieces of software aren't really related. So I think a dependencies-only
> -extras package idea is a good one.

The alioth project is approved and started. We're at
https://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-ruby-extras/

We've decided to go with a single libruby-extras metapackage that has
dependencies on other individual packages. All the packages will be housed
in the svn repo at this alioth project, and are co-maintained by anyone who
wants to help. If you're interested in helping out, adding a library, or
whatever, let me know (with your alioth username) and I'll add you to the
project.

I'm going to try and import some my initial libs (formatr and cmd) to the
svn repo tonight.

 - David Nusinow