Re: ITP: libcmd-ruby -- library for building line-oriented command interpreters in Ruby

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 01:05:25PM -0400, David Nusinow wrote:

 > Note: I have an ITP open on libformatr-ruby (#295171) and both this
 > library and formatr are very small, so I am hesitant to put them in
 > their own packages. I plan instead to create an aggregate package
 > (libruby-extras or something) with non-standard ruby libs that are
 > helpful.

 I wouldn't do that.

 Do these have different upstreams?

 Do these have different release cycles?

 Aggregating upstreams has the disadvantage that one upstream update
 means upgrading a whole bunch of stuff en masse.

 For example, I reallly really really hate the current rails packaging
 in Debian.  The "rails" package actually bundles at least five
 different things.  This might be a good thing from upstream's (rather
 limited and short sighted) point of view but sort of defeats the
 purpose of having a good package manager to work with.  Upstream's
 reasoning, as far as I been able to grasp it, mainly focuses on
 Microsoft Windows environments and the very brain-damaged packaging
 system that's ruby gems.  The rails package contains stuff that very
 useful on its own, but from the POV of rails it's just a little
 nuissanse.  This doesn't mean that you can't just install "rails" and
 use the useful stuff, you can (even if it's "hidden" in
 /usr/share/rails), but as times goes forward, "rails" pulls in more and
 more unwanted stuff.

 Marcelo