Re: riscv64 and qemu trunk

On 10/23/2018 01:55 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 6:23 PM Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org> wrote:

Just saw this from Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton :

  >    if i get really stuck i'll embed the riscv64 chroot within a
  >    qemu-amd64 chroot, running a 4.18 kernel, and document how
  >    it's done.

Getting qemu built from fresh git is certainly doable and I have booted
the ppc64 debian installer with it just fine.  Is there some page, or
scratch notes or even just essential command line stuff to get basic
cli or *anything* runnable inside a RISC-V qemu instance?

  i found these two resources:
     https://wiki.debian.org/RISC-V#Qemu
     https://wiki.debian.org/RISC-V#Creating_a_riscv64_chroot

Yep. I have looked there over and over.

they look very straightforward, and include scripts/recipes that can
just be cut/paste and run, which is great.

However it is always best not to work in isolation always wondering "is
this correct or is there something slightly off here"?   Then five days
later some other small yet critical bit let's out a puff of smoke and
one has to start over ... again.  Yeah that seems to describe the usual
process I get into ;-)

from some time ago i appear to have a debian-qemu-preparing script
that uses qemu-nbd (attached, as i can't recall where i got it from).
it was originally designed for native x86 (hence the inclusion of
grub), however i see no reason why it should not be adapted to do a
hybrid of the mmdebootstrap approach.

cool ... I will look at that.

if i *really* can't get the chroot up and running (because of the use
of an amd64 4.13 kernel) i'll probably put an entire debian riscv64 OS
- including a recent kernel - onto a qemu.img, and use qemu-nbd to
examine it and install things in it when it's offline.

either way i'll let you know how i get on, and will document the process, ok?

Thing of beauty and I could not have expected more.   Thank you very
much and I'll stay in touch and let you know if anything reasonable gets
working here.  For the moment I am snagging some ssd's and a motherboard
and ddr4 memory etc to isolate this whole process.

Dennis