Re: riscv64 and qemu trunk

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 6:23 PM Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org> wrote:

> Just saw this from Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton :
>
>  >    if i get really stuck i'll embed the riscv64 chroot within a
>  >    qemu-amd64 chroot, running a 4.18 kernel, and document how
>  >    it's done.
>
> Getting qemu built from fresh git is certainly doable and I have booted
> the ppc64 debian installer with it just fine.  Is there some page, or
> scratch notes or even just essential command line stuff to get basic
> cli or *anything* runnable inside a RISC-V qemu instance?

 i found these two resources:
    https://wiki.debian.org/RISC-V#Qemu
    https://wiki.debian.org/RISC-V#Creating_a_riscv64_chroot

they look very straightforward, and include scripts/recipes that can
just be cut/paste and run, which is great.

from some time ago i appear to have a debian-qemu-preparing script
that uses qemu-nbd (attached, as i can't recall where i got it from).
it was originally designed for native x86 (hence the inclusion of
grub), however i see no reason why it should not be adapted to do a
hybrid of the mmdebootstrap approach.

if i *really* can't get the chroot up and running (because of the use
of an amd64 4.13 kernel) i'll probably put an entire debian riscv64 OS
- including a recent kernel - onto a qemu.img, and use qemu-nbd to
examine it and install things in it when it's offline.

either way i'll let you know how i get on, and will document the process, ok?

l.