riscv64 and qemu trunk

Just saw this from Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton :

>    if i get really stuck i'll embed the riscv64 chroot within a
>    qemu-amd64 chroot, running a 4.18 kernel, and document how
>    it's done.

Getting qemu built from fresh git is certainly doable and I have booted
the ppc64 debian installer with it just fine.  Is there some page, or
scratch notes or even just essential command line stuff to get basic
cli or *anything* runnable inside a RISC-V qemu instance?

Dennis