Re: "FATAL: kernel too old" when running mmdebootstrap'd riscv64 chroot

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 6:13 PM James Clarke <jrtc27@debian.org> wrote:

> Yes, it does, stop trying to tell us we're wrong,

 *gently*, james.  nobody's screaming, "you're wrong, you're wrong",
least of all me.  to do so would be extremely rude, and completely
counter-productive, as we both know well from long experience of both
being involved in free software.

> > the dynamic ld-linux is still being accessed, and it is one of three
> > files in the chroot that contains the string "FATAL: kernel too old".
> > therefore by logical deductive reasoning, we may surmise that, the
> > qemu one having been sorted, the loading of this file followed
> > immediately by a message "FATAL: kernel too old", it is probably
> > caused by this file.
>
> No, your understanding is completely wrong. The problem is *not* that the
> string exists in ld-linux; go look at your amd64 one and you'll find it there
> too:

 sorry, i may have mis-stated.  the detection present is... well, you
put it well, below.

> The *problem* is that the qemu your chroot ends up using does not pretend to be
> 4.15. Either you've built the wrong version of qemu, or your static qemu-user
> binary is in the wrong place. Stop blaming glibc,

i'm having one of those "wtf" moments, being really taken aback and
very unnerved and uneasy by the vehemence behind your words.  it's
making me feel extremely uncomfortable and confused.

you're placing words into my mouth by assuming i seek and desire to
"blame".  it's software.  it's not to "blame" for anything, how can it
be??  and i am most certainly *not* seeking to "blame" any *person*.
why on earth would i want to do that?  what the hell would it
achieve?? make "me" look "better"??  how??

i'd like to feel that i can discuss this with you without you feeling
that automatically you're under attack, being criticised, made to feel
"wrong" or anything else.

what words can i use which would ensure that you do not feel the need
to assume that i am "blaming" or "seeking to place blame" or "seeking
to make you feel bad" or "make you feel that you are the one that is
"wrong" "?

> glibc is as it should be, get
> glibc out of your head, and work out why your chroot is not using the right
> qemu version.

 i'm being made to feel very uncomfortable with the words you're
using, i will however endeavour to do that.  it's the latest git qemu
(as was advised earlier in the discussion), with the options i listed
earlier that i subsequenttly found from research.

l.